Customized Portfolio Management
Historically, investment management firms managed money for large institutions, not for individual investors or professional groups. Today, professional money management is widely available, but usually in a standardized, style-specific fashion such as growth or value investing. Individuals who want this type of investment management usually turn to mutual funds or institutional investment managers often recommended by their financial planner or brokerage firm.
The standardized method of investment management has limitations when it comes to meeting specific goals and objectives.
- Investment styles tend to go in and out of favor, so a style-specific manager’s success or failure depends on how well that style is performing at any given time.
- Managers rarely know their clients or their client’s needs and concerns. Rather than considering the individual’s needs, goals and objectives, the portfolio manager invests every client’s portfolio the same way.
- Many individuals and professional groups use financial planners or broker consultants. Both typically outsource the investment management duties to an unrelated institutional investment manager or to a variety of mutual funds. In most cases, the referred manager or fund manager is not aware of the client’s financial plan or personal objectives. The result is a lack of coordination.
At Canterbury Investment Management, we provide customized portfolio management to high-net-worth individuals and professional groups with a level of service typically reserved for major institutional clients. We know our clients personally and we’re committed to helping them achieve and manage total wealth and abundance.
Because we know that no one particular investment portfolio is appropriate for all investors, we customize each portfolio with attention to the client’s clearly defined personal goals and objectives. To do this, we follow many of the principles of modern portfolio theory, which focus on creating efficient portfolios that maintain low correlation among securities and the highest return for the lowest risk. We believe the optimal portfolio is diversified and utilizes all essential management and security analysis tools.
- We manage portfolio risk and keep the portfolio’s volatility optimized and within each client’s personal comfort zone with our proprietary Portfolio Thermostat
- We utilize global and inter-market relationship analysis to discover early trends
- We actively manage asset allocation and diversification among investment classes
- We rotate sectors, industry and investment styles as market environments change
- We practice a strong buy and sell discipline through the use of technical market analysis
- We consider each client’s Custom Investment Strategy and tax situation in making all investment decisions
- We determine each client’s optimum number of individual securities
- We identify and meet each client’s cash flow needs
Unlike style-specific managers, we shift investment styles and sectors as market conditions dictate. We blend individual growth, value and international stocks and bonds together in one portfolio, and we determine asset allocation based on the client’s risk tolerance and current market volatility. As market conditions change, we continually make adjustments to the portfolio.
We also know that an important component in the success of an investment program is having a rules-based system and the discipline to stay with it for the long term. Without a proven, well-thought-out system to follow, people often find they make decisions based on emotion. At Canterbury we apply our expertise in domestic and international stock and bond analysis and risk management to customize a portfolio for each of our clients. Based on their individual risk tolerance, personal preferences, life goals and financial time frames, we allocate assets among the major classes of cash equivalents, stocks and bonds. Once client and advisor have agreed upon an appropriate portfolio, we implement our recommendations and follow our system for maximum success.
Our ongoing attention to managing the risk and composition of our clients’ portfolios and our frequent communication with each of our clients distinguishes Canterbury as a truly client-centered firm. You can also view our ideal client profile.